Saturday, September 27, 2008

Subtleties

In this frozen land I am finding, at last, rest.
Sighs continuously burst from my soul
and I discover, once again, words to speak.

The protective walls around my mind have collapsed.
A few stones were jostled loose and then fell.
In thunderous cacophony the walls plummeted down
and were suddenly gone.

A restrained silence followed.
My prison had disappeared.
Yet, I retained the form it had shaped me into.

It was only as the purified air engulfed me,
that I realized the pressure had dispersed.

My soul gulped and drank.
New life saturated the deepest places of my heart.
Freedom brushed against me and I fled that place.

Now, having found my freedom, I look back and recognize
the hand of Jesus in my release.

I wonder, though, what subtleties had persuaded me
to close my eyes as that prison was built.

Copyright Joy Chastagner 1992

No comments: