Thursday, September 18, 2008

The One I Love

We stood on a hill overlooking a sea.
A warm wind blew upon the waters.
A mighty sun blazed heat and light
across the sky.

He stood next to me tall and quiet
gazing at a distant place
His wisdom unfathomable,
His love immeasurable.

He is the King,
formidable in presence.
His eternal power and divine nature
are unmatched or surpassed.

He is a servant
attentive to those about Him,
never failing to prepare the way
and never ceasing in His care
to the smallest need.

He is the Omniscient, Omnipotent Living God.
He is the Creator of the heavens and earth.
It is by His will the stars burn and whirl in their fiery orbits.
It is by His will the tides weave and dance to the beckoning moon.
It is by His will the rains are set free from their thundering prisons.
It is He who breathed life into the first man and woman.

I am His creation.
Each day I seek Him out excited.
I am His child beloved and cherished.
I am welcome at His side.

Today, as we stood on the hill, I was in need.
He reached out and took my hand.
It was small in the warmth of his larger grasp.
"I am here," he said.
He pulled my arm closer under his.
In silence the afternoon passed by.

Clouds began to cast shadows
on the gleaming waters below.
The wind was picking up.
It was time to go.
He turned and took my face in His hands.
He gazed into my eyes feeding and filling
the empty places of my heart.
Then He spoke aloud.
"You are mine."

A moment more passed and He released His gentle hold.
It was difficult to turn from His gaze,
His words still caressing.

With small pressure to my shoulder
He urged me to turn and finish the day.
“I’m coming with you.”
And we moved forward, down the hill.


Copyright Joy Chastagner 1999